About Save the Children:
At Save the Children, we employ approximately 25,000 dedicated individuals globally, working on the ground in over 100 countries. Our mission is to assist children affected by crises, providing better healthcare, education, and child protection. We advocate at the highest levels to ensure children’s rights are realized, aiming for three breakthroughs by 2030: no child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday, all children receive quality basic education, and violence against children is eradicated.
SCI – Afghanistan:
Save the Children has been making a difference in Afghanistan since 1976. Working closely with communities on their own terms, we’ve delivered lasting change to tens of thousands of children. Guided by the UN Convention of the Rights of the Child, our work focuses on education, enabling more boys and girls to attend school, and promoting basic health to save the lives of children and mothers.
As a Counter Fraud Officer within the Safeguarding and Counter Fraud Unit, you will collaborate with the Counter Fraud Coordinator, contributing to end-to-end counter-fraud management, including awareness, prevention, reporting, and response. The role may extend beyond the normal job description in significant events, requiring flexibility in working hours.
- Support in training staff, representatives, partners, and beneficiaries on fraud prevention.
- Deliver mandatory core training workshops on fraud risk management to country office staff and partners.
- Timely reporting of incidents and concerns to DATIX or the Counter Fraud Coordinator.
- Track progress on the Counter Fraud action plan and implementation of mitigation measures.
- Lead/participate in the investigation process, from developing the Investigation TsoR to preparing findings/draft reports.
- Maintain/update case records and documentation in the case management system (Datix) and progress cases for closure.
- Ensure confidentiality, proper documentation, and storage of case information.
- Collaborate with stakeholders to improve Counter Fraud practices.
- Support humanitarian response teams in embedding counter fraud minimum standards into response plans.
SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS
Holds self-accountable, makes decisions efficiently, and role models Save the Children values.
Respectfully and constructively challenges stakeholders.
Sets ambitious goals, takes responsibility for personal development, and motivates the team.
Shares a personal vision for Save the Children, engaging and motivating others.
Builds and maintains effective relationships, values diversity as a source of strength.
Approachable, good listener, and easy to work with.
Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions.
Demonstrates the highest levels of integrity and honesty.
Bachelor’s degree/formal qualification in a relevant field.
At least 2 years of relevant experience (audit/risk/investigation/quality) applicable to the role, with knowledge of common analytical tools.
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS:
- Strong analytical skills to identify fraud risk areas in complex operational environments.
- Demonstrable understanding of the importance of counter fraud activities and mechanisms.
- Excellent investigative ability with a proven track record.
- Awareness of current best practices in investigation techniques.
- Excellent communicator and facilitator.
- Strong negotiating skills, ability to work collaboratively with peers from different departments.
- Cultural awareness and ability to work well in an international environment.
- Commitment to Save the Children values.
Membership of a professional anti-fraud body and/or professional data analytics certification.
Proficiency in one of SCI’s languages.
Knowledge of SCI systems including Agresso, TIM, ER/CAM, PPM Prime, Datix, etc.
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply through the online application form. Attach CV and cover letter in the online system. Save your login details for future applications.
Save the Children International provides equal employment opportunities and follows the Save the Children Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures.
The post holder is required to carry out duties in accordance with Save the Children Health and Safety policies and procedures, as well as the SCI anti-harassment policy.
We need to keep children safe, and our selection process, including rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to protecting children from abuse.
See Also: Chief of Party