About Save the Children:
At Save the Children, we’re on a mission to create a world where no child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday, every child has access to quality basic education, and violence against children is no longer tolerated. With a global team of 25,000 individuals, we work in over 100 countries, including Afghanistan, where we’ve been delivering lasting change since 1976.
Title: Senior Safeguarding Officer
Team/Programme: Risk & Compliance
Location: North (Balkh, Faryab, Saripul, and Jawzjan)
Contract Length: Fixed Term
Child Safeguarding: Level 3
As a Senior Safeguarding Officer, you will play a crucial role in ensuring the safety of beneficiaries and staff in designated provinces. Conducting capacity building trainings on safeguarding topics, monitoring projects for active safeguarding cases, and leading investigations, your work will contribute to creating a secure environment for everyone involved.
Scope of Role:
Direct Reports to: Safeguarding Coordinator
Staff reporting: None
Budget Responsibilities: None
Travels to the field: Extensive travels required to the provincial SCI and partner offices.
Key Areas of Accountability:
- Identify potential risks to children and adults in project activities and report to Head of Province and Head of Safeguarding.
- Coordinate with provincial SG focal point to improve SG practices.
- Deliver mandatory and refresher/capacity building training on various safeguarding topics.
- Conduct regular visits to project sites to ensure the SG reporting system is effective.
- Update local SG reporting tracker regularly.
- Lead investigations of safeguarding cases, ensuring quality case management and timely closure.
- Support humanitarian response teams in embedding safeguarding minimum standards into the response plan.
Behaviours (Values in Practice):
- Accountability: Holds self and the team accountable for decisions and achieving Save the Children values.
- Ambition: Sets ambitious goals, encourages personal development, and motivates others.
- Collaboration: Builds effective relationships with colleagues and Safeguarding officers, values diversity.
- Creativity: Develops new and innovative solutions.
- Integrity: Honest, encourages openness and transparency.
Bachelor’s degree in social science or any related field.
Experience and Skills:
- Three to Five years of experience in Child protection and familiar with Safeguarding.
- Experience in project monitoring and investigation.
- Multi-disciplinary experience of working with senior managers to deliver operational change.
- Experience in building a personal network with SG focal points of SCI and partners.
- Experience in planning and undertaking training programs/workshops in safeguarding.
- Good verbal communication and report writing skills in English and Dari/Pashto.
- Good presentation skills.
- Demonstrable commitment to Children’s Rights.
- Ability to deliver results against demanding timetables in challenging environments.
Evidence of experience, personal development, and learning in the field of childcare.
Experience of working within challenging environments.
Experience of work-related travel in challenging environments.
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply through the online application portal. Attach your CV and cover letter within the online system. Only applications received through the online portal will be considered.
It is recommended to save your username and password for future job applications through the online system.
Save the Children International provides equal employment opportunities and does not ask for money at any stage of recruitment.
Online Application Portal