About Mercy Corps:
Mercy Corps is a global organization dedicated to creating a better world. Operating in over 40 countries, they partner with communities to implement bold solutions, helping people triumph over adversity and build resilient communities. With a focus on places undergoing transition due to conflict, disaster, or economic challenges, Mercy Corps delivers emergency relief, promotes sustainable change, and builds stronger communities.
In Afghanistan, Mercy Corps has been continuously working since 1986, addressing diverse needs in areas such as sustainable livelihoods, agriculture development, youth vocational training, renewable energy, and natural resource management. Their programs have positively impacted more than 2.5 million Afghans, emphasizing community-based agriculture and economic development.
The Finance Department at Mercy Corps Afghanistan oversees financial functions, ensuring compliance with donor regulations and internal policies. It supports program activities by providing timely reports and assistance to ensure efficient resource utilization.
General Position Summary:
As the Protection Mainstreaming Manager, you will play a pivotal role in analyzing protection, Gender Equality and Social Inclusion (GESI), and Safeguarding issues across diverse sectors. Collaborating with program teams, you will systemize protection mainstreaming, strengthen sector initiatives, and ensure high-quality, inclusive programming that addresses the needs of marginalized groups. This role involves risk analysis, action planning, and promoting equal opportunities, dignity, and safety.
- Assess protection, Safeguarding, and GESI issues in operational contexts.
- Develop action plans based on GESI and risk analysis for consistent implementation.
- Monitor protection and safeguarding risks in service delivery and adapt programming.
- Contribute to standard operational procedures promoting inclusion and risk mitigation.
- Advocate for safe programming, especially for women, marginalized groups, and people with disabilities.
- Support universal design in Mercy Corps facilities for accessibility.
- Identify, map, and update local support services for survivors and individuals seeking protection.
Train and mentor teams and partners on protection mainstreaming, GESI, and safeguarding concepts.
Develop training curricula and content for skill training.
Mentor teams on safe programming, risk analysis, GESI, and Safeguarding Core Standards.
Coordination & Representation:
Ensure accountability mechanisms and CARM systems are accessible and responsive.
Integrate inclusion and cross-cutting themes in interventions and represent Mercy Corps at relevant clusters and networks.
Coordinate with internal stakeholders, Technical Advisors, and support overall program commitment.
Contribute to humanitarian responses and emergency situations.
Maintain a respectful work environment and conduct duties professionally.
Other duties as assigned by the supervisor and/or Country Director.
Supervise protection, GESI, and safeguarding team members.
Reports Directly To:
Director of Programs
Works Directly With:
PaQ lead, CARM team, MEL team, Program Managers
- Degree in social sciences, social work, public health, law, or related fields.
- 5 years of experience in NGOs, focusing on GESI, protection programming, and/or Safeguarding/PSEA.
- Experience in humanitarian and community-based programming.
- Knowledge of the prevention of sexual abuse and exploitation in humanitarian settings.
- Understanding of barriers faced by marginalized community members.
- Experience in organizing and facilitating learning events and training.
- Strong interest in gender issues, social inclusion, and human rights.
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
To apply, submit your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “MCA074-2024 Application for (PROTECTION MAINSTREAMING MANAGER)” by January 25, 2024. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Mercy Corps provides office space but does not offer lodging facilities. Employees are responsible for arranging lodgings if working in a field office outside their home province. Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
Read Also: Finance Manager- GPE