Wazefagroup.com is delighted to present an opportunity with the International Rescue Committee (IRC). Established in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, IRC responds to global humanitarian crises, offering life-saving care and transformative assistance to refugees. Operating in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, IRC restores safety, dignity, and hope to millions in need.
IRC Afghanistan Program:
Since 1988, IRC has been at the forefront of humanitarian relief in Afghanistan. Our programs span from humanitarian relief to early recovery and development activities, focusing on child protection, education, economic well-being, health, and power. With operations in 10 provinces, including high-security areas, IRC employs over 1000 dedicated staff.
Compliance with Policies:
Adhering to the IRC WAY and Safeguarding Policies is integral to our mission. We maintain a zero-tolerance approach to IRC Code of Conduct violations, ensuring the safety and well-being of our team.
As an MHPSS Counsellor, you will work under the supervision of the Mental Health and Psychosocial Support (MHPSS) Supervisor, providing psychosocial and psychological interventions in individual or group formats. Your responsibilities include:
- Deliver one-on-one and group counseling sessions within IRC Clinics, aligning with IRC’s integrated approach.
- Develop psychosocial activities, community mobilization, and awareness-raising activities as requested by the MHPSS Supervisor.
- Support MHPSS Supervisor in delivering training or workshops.
- Engage with the community to deliver and promote IRC MHPSS project activities.
- Assist in writing reports, monitoring and evaluation activities, and progress reports.
- Implement preventive MHPSS interventions at the community and Primary Healthcare (PHC) level.
- Coordinate referrals and perform other related tasks assigned by the MHPSS Supervisor or MHPSS Coordinator.
Provide MHPSS consultations within PHC setting:
Provide individual or group consultations to beneficiaries in PHC or referred for mental health interventions.
Identify psycho-social needs and propose interventions in collaboration with the mental health team and PHC staff.
Coordinate with MHPSS Supervisor on cases requiring higher-level interventions.
Weekly reporting activities and data collection.
Provide psycho-social support for mental health beneficiaries:
Work directly with MHPSS Supervisor to develop individualized treatment plans.
Use participatory methods to adapt activities according to the needs of different target groups.
Community mental health interventions:
Define effective and culturally appropriate approaches and interventions on the community level.
Focus on information dissemination and collecting opinions to foster knowledge and self-care practices for communities.
Initiate and facilitate group interventions.
Analysis, detection, and reduction of risk factors:
Explore and detect potential risk factors influencing mental health status in the target population.
Coordinate with other stakeholders to reduce and/or eliminate potential risk factors.
- Education: Degree in Psychology, Counselling, Social Work, Psychiatric Nursing, Nursing diploma, Midwifery diploma, or a related field from a recognized institution.
- Experience: Minimum of 1-2 years of professional experience in a relevant field (clinical psychology, educational psychology, Psychiatric Nursing, or related field).
- Skills: Strong communication and facilitation skills, experience in the humanitarian sector (MHPSS programs is an asset), knowledge of counseling and community mobilization methods/tools.
- Proactive, ability to work in a multicultural team, and effective communication in local languages (verbal and written).
- Technical Competency: Strong communication and reporting skills, fluency in Pashto, Dari, and English, computer skills (MS Word, Excel, Access, and internet).
For IRC- Afghanistan Internal Candidates:
Employees are encouraged to remain in a position for at least one year before applying for another position within the organization.
Flexibility for employees working in the current IRC position for at least 6 months or more.
All qualified candidates, including internal candidates, are invited to apply via the following link: IRC MHPSS Counsellor
Note: Applicants who recently applied/interviewed will not be considered again. Applications without the given link and/or online system will be disqualified.
Shortlisted candidates will be directly contacted for a written test and subsequent interviews. If you do not receive communication within TWO or FOUR WEEKS after the closing date, kindly consider your application unsuccessful. IRC Afghanistan Country Office, Qala-e-Fathullah, Street # 3, District 10, Old UNOCHA Office, Beside Fatemia Mosque.
Refer to submission guideline.