About Women for Afghan Women (WAW):
Women for Afghan Women (WAW) is a grassroots civil society organization dedicated to safeguarding and advancing the rights of disenfranchised Afghan women and girls in Afghanistan and New York. WAW focuses on empowering Afghan women to exercise their rights in various aspects of life, advocating for women’s rights, and challenging gender-based violence norms to foster positive change.
Under the guidance of the WAW area manager, the LTS Communication Officer plays a crucial role in enhancing the visibility, data analysis, and reporting of the LTS Project. Collaborating with LTS team leaders and the HQ reporting coordinator, the Communications Officer is responsible for collecting, analyzing, and reporting data in accordance with partner and program requirements. The role involves managing both internal and external communications, promoting a positive public image through the publication of LTS success stories, lessons learned, and recommendations.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Develop relationships with government, partners, NGOs, stakeholders, and contractors to share lessons learned and best practices.
- Formulate effective program communication strategies.
- Manage internal communications (memos, newsletters, etc.).
- Draft content (e.g., press releases) for mass media or the website.
- Draft, design, and develop visibility materials as required by the program.
- Organize initiatives, plan events, or coordinate press conferences.
- Liaise with UNHCR, handling requests for interviews, statements, etc.
- Facilitate dispute resolution with the public or external vendors.
- Assist in communicating strategies or messages from senior leadership.
- Travel to provinces as required.
- Ensure timely data collection, analysis, and submission of reports.
- Proactively track changes in program scope, identifying potential adjustments, and communicating them to stakeholders.
- Review deliverables prepared by the program team before submission to LTS Management and UNHCR.
- Prepare progress reports for relevant management at regular intervals.
- Work with LTS teams to collect, manage, and analyze data as per partner and program requirements.
- Build the capacity of LTS teams for reporting and communication skills.
- Collaborate with the reporting coordinator at WAW HQ on reporting and overall communications strategies and activities.
- Perform any other task assigned by the supervisor.
- A minimum of 3–4 years of proven experience as a communication officer.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in a related professional field.
- Knowledge of office management systems and procedures.
- Working knowledge of data collection, analysis, and reporting.
- Proficiency in MS Office (MS Excel and MS PowerPoint, in particular).
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to prioritize work.
- Attention to detail and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English, Pashto, and Dari.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to multitask.
Interested Afghan applicants should submit a cover letter along with their CVs in one PDF file explaining their interest in and suitability for the position. Please clearly indicate the vacancy number (VA#1378 Communication Officer/Kabul) in the cover letter and the subject line of your email. Send applications to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Kindly refrain from sending educational and work certificates at this stage of recruitment. Applications received after the closing date without mentioning the location in the subject line of the email will not be considered.
Read Also: Project Officer